Thursday, August 16, 2012

Eat: Brian Bowden is Growing Greatness at Creo

So it needs to be said that I have the best job on Earth. I had been teaching French Classics at Different Drummer's all day and needed a little glass of wine afterwards, so I moseyed on over to Creo for a quick pick me up. Well I had the opportunity to catch up with Chef Brian Bowden and Chef Elliot Cunniff (who happened to be there roasting off some pork shoulder for a catered event). These guys are just awesome... just totally cool down to earth people. By the way, I've decided to start a series of Chef Interviews, something like a 10 questions or whatnot, so that you all can get to know the chefs as people, and these guys are at the top of the list. 

Anyway, I was sitting at the bar chatting with Elliot and out comes this beautiful plate:

It was one of the night's features...now this was about a month ago so if I mess up the details cut me some slack...It was a napoleon of sorts, a stack of tuna tartare, green, red, and yellow heirloom tomatoes, crostini, pesto, balsamic reduction and something that was beyond fabulous that I can't remember (ack! I have since learned to take notes, because try to get an item description from a chef a week or a month later). It was beautiful, so fresh, so perfectly balanced. I loved it....and with the sauvignon blanc I was drinking, life was good!

So I just kind of love how Brian is so invested in doing things the right way. I love the rooftop garden (and guys, I really want to see it hint, hint) concept. In fact, I believe they grew those gorgeous tomatoes! It's just awesome....period.

But wait there's more! My mother shows up with my son and wants to have dinner. Can I tell you, I'm somewhat obsessed with their Saratoga Chips now....I know not healthy, whatever they are god damn delicious!

So by this point I was getting a little full, but you know I'll take one for the team. Mom had the Veal Chop with Colossal Crab Meat, Asparagus, Whipped Potato, Veal Jus and lemon butter. I saw her eyes roll back in her head a little and she was pretty effusive, and my son was stealing the asparagus from her like they were french fries....so I'm going to do with it was probably pretty amazing.

I had the wild mushroom pizza, which I am somewhat obsessed with. The earthiness of the wild mushrooms, the sweetness of the caramelized onions, the slight tang to the cheeses and then the hint of truffle oil....time out...let's just take a moment and think about how awesome that is.

Just when I think life can't get any better...it does....

Brian sends out this enormous platter of ice cream. Vanilla, Chocolate, and Wasabi Ice Cream...for real! Handmade ice cream is a thing of beauty, seriously I love making ice cream so I can fully appreciate it. Well, this wasabi ice cream blew my mind! It was cooler than cool, yet it was hot, but it wasn't...Awesome!

So many thanks to Chef Brian for amazing dinner! I think he's such a talent and I'm so thrilled that he has taken the reigns at Creo...that's just good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment